Friday, June 26, 2009

Guangzhou!






Hi all! My name is Missy, and our family is blessed to be friends with the Woodards. Rachel had hoped to continue to e-mail her updates directly to post on this blog, but Blogger is completely blocked and I am her posting back up plan. I know we are all delighted to receive any news, especially updates on how we can pray. Blessings! MK

We arrived via train from Hong Kong yesterday, the 25th. Our guide, Elsie, met us at the station. We are so relieved to finally be here! We walked into our room to see...Ta Da...a crib! We then ate at the famous Chinese restaurant, McDonalds. The kids have done better than Brian and I have as far as jet lag goes. Today doesn't seem to be as bad as yesterday. This morning we met another CHI family here @ the hotel. Four other families will arrive Sunday, and all six families will receive their children on Monday!!
Our journey on Tuesday began w/ a delay @ GSP. We met a great guy named Josh Olson. You can read about his incredible ministry at www.dtdgolf.com. Brian and I are convinced God sent Josh to help our family on our journey on Tuesday. He took us through the Chicago airport, treated us to lunch, and upon our arrival in Hong Kong, led us in the right direction toward customs and immigration. We also had a pretty scary experience I'll share later. God was totally protecting us.
We were then met by our second "angel" of the day, Richard. He was so gracious and took us to our hotel and made sure that we were settled before he went home. He also had purchased our train tickets for the next day. Brian said it is truly as if God used these men to father us through a long, tiring day. We are so grateful!
It is so surreal to finally be here. Our train trip allowed us to see more of rural China. Now being in a city of over 7 million is mind boggling.. We visited a park near our hotel today.It is over 200 acres and quite beautiful. The not so pretty part...90 percent humidity. We now have added a 6th member to our family - my huge frizzy hair. Have mercy - the flat iron isn't going to help out here! Let's just say our family sticks out here like a sore thumb. - lots of stares. I love seeing the faces of the Chinese people. Each one is beautiful to me, young and old.
Counting the days now till we see our girl! Please pray that God will be preparing her heart for her transition, and for her care takers as well as they prepare to send her out of their care.

3 comments:

  1. YIPPEE!!! Sounds like things are going smoothly...thanks to God paving the way!

    I can only imagine your hair...mine was the same way! Just give up on the flat iron...grab a head band and just let 'er go.

    Oh and Elsie was our guide too!!!! She is AMAZING!! We loved her so much!

    Can't wait for gotcha day post!!

    I'm praying hard!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I forgot to mention the humidity! Somehow I just knew you'd get to visit the McDonald's. It's truly an eye-opening experience to find yourself a minority, isn't it? We are praying for you back here in SC and can't wait to read the post that says you have Gracie in your arms.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like it's going great already! I was there in the winter so I don't know about the humidity. But I can tell you that your flat iron will get SUPER hot! You may be able to find one there that you can use.

    I LOVE Elsie! She was only my guide for one day but left a lasting impression on me. I think I did on her too! LOL Tell her I said hello...tell her it's the woman who's backpack she carried to the medical check that weighed 50lbs! :)

    ~Lynn

    ReplyDelete