Thursday, July 21, 2011

an old favorite

it must be the lazy dog days of summer.
i used to have 
"this is a blog post"
moments often during the day...
but my brain is toast these days-
so because nothing witty is sprouting
from the mouths of my children,
and no photo-ops are emerging from our
daily summer routine, 
i'm sharing what we had for dinner last night.
original, eh?

it is one of my standby/favorites & 
since Brian ate it in like 3 minutes flat,
i'm assuming it's still a keeper!

there's always chicken in the freezer,
so depending on what you have you can
grill, broil, or saute it w/ a little
salt & pepper & some olive oil. 
the glaze is actually a recipe i snagged
while watching Regis & Katie Lee
(yes, there was someone else before Kelly)
when Ali was a baby, and I had time 
to watch things like that after having
a whole, hot cup of coffee and actually
completing my Beth Moore Bible study 
in my matching nightgown & robe.
i digress....

 apricot glaze
saute 1T minced garlic in 2T butter till fragrant.
in a small bowl, whisk together:
2T orange juice
1T lemon juice
1/2t cornstarch

whisk everything together in the 
saucepan & then add:
1/4t ginger
1/3C apricot preserves.

mix & thicken over low heat
& serve over your cooked chicken -yum!

the potato recipe is actually one of Ali's favorites,
so i feel a tad guilty for fixing them
while she is away at camp.

Trader Joe's sells the perfect potatoes
for this recipe.
they are actually called
"teeny tiny potatoes"
(no joke)
& they are fabulous!

the recipe is called "hasselback potatoes"
& you can find it
i just love Nigella Lawson.
in fact, sometimes when i'm cooking
i pretend i'm her.
really, i think we favor each other... 
don't you see the resemblance?
no?
the rumpled yet glamorous hair...
OK, the flawless, porcelain skin?...
the full, sultry lips?
the rosy, high cheekbones?
the voluptuous curves not hidden under a
paint-stained mission trip t-shirt from 1987?
no? 
OK, we both have brown eyes.
how's that?

we rounded out our little meal
with some Trader Joe's french green beans,
and all was well with my little world.
(except the fact that my big girls
were still at camp)
BUT they will be home for a quick sleepover
tonight before they head down to
the beach with their youth group pals
for the day. can't wait to kiss those
sweet little faces!!

3 comments:

  1. The meal sounds amazing, but I think I liked the humor best.

    BTW, you are truly "an instrument of His Peace," friend-- I always feel calmer after talking to and laughing with you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't ever apologize for a recipe post! Especially one that came from Regis and Kathe Lee! :) I simply love getting new ideas for dinners.

    And yes, you and Nigella have an uncanny resemblance. Twins, I tell you!!

    Now, bring your crew over for brownies...I just pulled them out of the oven. I'll get the ice cream ready and see you soon. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are hilarious. That made me laugh out loud...was not expecting the Nigella comparison. Shoot, yall are like twins for pete's sake.

    ReplyDelete