Thursday, May 19, 2011

hear me roar

mama bear.
roaring.
me.


after we had been home from China
 for a couple of months
I wrote a post following a tough incident, and decided
after all to not publish it.
it was therapeutic just to type the words, I guess.

I found myself in a similar situation today,
and although it's happened quite a few times,
it really hit me the wrong way this morning.

granted...
I'm tired,
I've had a cold,
and life is crazy busy right now,
so maybe that's why I'm hypersensitive.

the Father has extended grace after undeserved grace
 to me personally.
I must choose to do the same to others.
it's a choice.


so here are the words I wrote almost 2 years ago...


I guess I knew it would happen, but after over 2 months of being home w/ no incidents, I was taken by surprise. Someone made fun of my baby's mouth. It was child, and I have been prepared to extend much grace in that department. I have definitely been there as a mom...your child makes a comment (the kind where you're wishing to melt into the floor) about someone's physical appearance...but this wasn't innocent childlike curiosity or even immature out-spokeness. It was downright making fun, sheer disgust and laughter at her expense. She was blessedly unaware of it all, but my heart was ready to explode.
My point in all this? Not sure...maybe to vent a little, but also to challenge (myself included). I know everyone's natural personality is different and unique, but compassion and sensitivity can be taught! It's times like this that I painfully recall words spoken out of my own mouth at someone else's expense that I desperately wish I could take back. Words are powerful (James chapter 3). If one of my children have ever spoken hurtful words to or about someone, I am so sorry. One of my most heartfelt prayers for them is to see others the way Jesus sees them, and to be oh so sensitive to what comes out of their mouths.

I'm done roaring.
I've forgiven.
I'm moving on.
a beautiful day awaits!!

2 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you posted this. It's vulnerable to share stuff like this, but beautiful, too. I've spoken that same idea to someone just yesterday...compassion and sensitivity CAN be taught. I really love this post. I pray my kids can see people and the beauty and uniqueness in and out of people and that I can teach them this truth...love, love the grace you show in speaking your heart in love. Yall's family is AMAZING!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete